Monday, March 9, 2009

UPDATE, MONDAY, MARCH 9

For the a Slow Foodie like me, this weekend was a whirlwind. It started on Friday with our first Monthly Lunch Bunch at COMFORT in Hastings on Hudson. If you haven't been there, you should go. It is a very small space, so the 12 of us were fortunate they reserved a table and most of the restaurant for us. We came from all walks of life and parts of the county. We dined on grilled chicken salads, sandwiches and vegetable plates. All organic and all delicious. We met new friends and shared restaurant suggestions and recipe ideas. Thanks to everyone who came and we are looking forward to speaking to all of you more and exploring some of your wonderful ideas.

Saturday, I woke early to drive (unfortunately) to the Community Market in Briarcliff. As is usually the case, I didn't bring enough cash. Half way around the room, I ran out of money. The plethora of wonderful items is just too tempting and I wanted to buy it all. Grass-fed cheese, wood-oven breads, fresh pickles, chutneys, apples, cider and meat, pork, chicken and eggs. Next time I will stop by the bank to make sure I can stock up on the potatoes, onions, and rutabagas that I had to pass up. There was even a fishmonger with the tastiest scallops. They were clean and fresh, not in that syrupy liquid often found in scallops from a grocery. The next Market in Briarcliff is in two weeks.

Sunday, I grabbed my youngest and headed North to the Junior League of Westchester's EVERYBODY IN THE KITCHEN. Not only was I in search of new Slow Food recruits, but I wanted to have some fun myself. Since I was still cashless, I managed to eat my way around the Gymnasium at the Boys and Girls Club of Westchester. I stuffed my face with WAVE HILL BREADS, Cookies from SUSIE'S SMART COOKIE, Milk from HUDSONMILK, and tasty treats from NEAR AND NATURAL Market and Cafe and the soon to be opened TABLE. There was a craft area for kids and cooking demonstration and talks throughout the day. The Junior League did a great job.

But, for those of you who missed all that. There is plenty yet to come.

Tuesday, March 10th, 9-10:30,Breakfast Meeting, BEDFORD POST
Wednesday, March 25th, 5:30, PETER PRATT'S (See earlier blog)

Friday, April 3, 12:30, Slow Food Lunch Bunch (place to be determined)
Tuesday, April 14, Breakfast Meeting, BEDFORD POST
Wednesday, April 15, MT. KISCO DAY CARE, Slow Food Crock Pot Potluck

No comments: